It has been a very long time since I have done a post about a wash day routine for relaxed hair. I will do my best to be a little more consistent with wash day posts because many of you have expressed interest in learning how to stretch your relaxer. Therefore, I will use my wash day posts as a means to share with you what I am up to with my hair, whether good, bad or boring.
— Wash Day Routine for Relaxed Hair —
For those of you that follow me on social media – thank you! Some of this information I will be sharing will be a bit of a repeat.
I work with my hair in sections. To each section, I always:
1) apply extra virgin coconut oil and thoroughly finger detangle
2) heavily saturate my hair with Cantu Beauty for Kids Detangler
3) detangle my hair with a wide tooth comb
– apply additional extra virgin coconut oil
– braid the section of hair
4) pre-shampoo treatment (also known as pre-poo) with extra virgin coconut oil under my Hot Head conditioning cap.
I have been testing out some PR samples from NXS International for my wash day regimen. This wash day, I used their shampoo bar. I placed a chunk of the NXS Best of Nature Shampoo Bar in an applicator tip bottle full of water. Once it dissolved, I washed my hair twice. My hair was clean yet moisturized.
I followed up the shampoo session with NXS Nature Intense Moisturising Conditioner for 30 minutes under my Hot Head conditioning cap. The conditioner has a consistency of a thick leave-in. It has left my hair moisturized each time I’ve used it. I am unable to assess the level of slip because I’ve been washing in braids in which I keep in from pre-poo to apply leave-ins.
Leave-In Products & Technique:
I used the LCBO (liquid, cream, butter, oil) combination for my leave-ins for this wash day. I had been using the NXS Nature Intense Moisturising Hair Lotion but for this wash day, I changed it up. I went with the following:
L = extra virgin coconut oil => I place extra virgin coconut oil on my hands while in the shower and squeeze the excess water from my hair before stepping out of the shower
(put my curly tee towel on my head until I towel off)
C = As I Am leave-in => I add leave in to my hair
(put my curly tee towel back on my hair until my hair is about 90% dry)
(unravel each section, detangle with using Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Kids Extra-Moisturizing Detangler and a wide tooth comb, and then…)
C = As I Am leave-in => I add a bit more leave-in before using the twisting butter
B = As I Am Twisting Butter
O = Argan Oil
I wanted to trim my ends but I totally didn’t get around to doing all of that. Maybe next wash day! My length is still somewhere around mid-back length.
Top 5 Wash Day Tips
- Thoroughly detangle before allowing water to touch your hair
- Prepoo & Deep Condition Always!
- Wash in braids to minimize tangles and manipulation
- Use protein to strengthen the line of demarcation — point where the relaxed hair and new growth meet
- Use a detangler to help you detangle pre and post-wash